Great for breakfast on the go! Roasted nuts, seeds and oats are held together by flavourful nut butter in these delectably chewy, no-fuss energy bars. Turbinado or Demerara sugar add a caramel undertone. Bars stored at room temperature will be softer than those that are refrigerated.
Here’s What You Need
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ c ea sunflower seeds & slivered almonds or chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon ea sesame seeds & flaxseeds
- 1 cup of puffed rice or millet
- 1 cup dried fruit (can be just one or combo of different ones, ie raisins, cranberries, apricots)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of Cheerios (opt)
- ¼ – 1/3 cup roasted unsalted soy nuts (opt)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar (can also use dark brown sugar)
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, dried fruit, optional ingredients; toss to combine.
- Combine almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Press the mixture down firmly with lightly greased hands to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if needed). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 big or 16 small
Servings: 16, Calories: 122, Fat: 5g, Sodium: 74mg, Carbohydrate: 3.2g, Protein: 2.5g, Fibre: 3g